Welcome to the Siler Family Blog

A discussion of the lastest happenings with the Silers, but also a place to exchange memories, stories, pictures, recipes, and other sorts of Southwest Virginia propoganda!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hey Siler Bloggers

Hope to see all the brothers and sisters that can make it to Williamsburg this weekend, Oct. 26-28. Looking forward to it. Betty and I are going down early on Friday.

I read an interesting thing the other day. It was talking about Welsh people and we are on mama's side. That would be the Evans branch. Now I understand that grandma and grandpa Evans (that would be Ruth and Ed) were first cousins. She was a Hendricks. I don't know what Hendricks is. Do any of you all? I am not fully certain that they were first cousins but would like to check into it. Maybe that is where this weakness for diabetes is coming into play. The article that I read said that the Welsh are dark to black haired, blue-eyed and fair skinned people. I think we fit the bill. Look at our family picture, we all are just that. Of course, from the Siler side, the Germans were also blue-eyed and fair skinned. (Griffith is also a pure Welsh name but my sons have so many American Indians genes that all Welsh genes disappear. Their grandma and grandpa Griffith were both indians from North Carolina. I think John has all the Native American traits and looks. Well I think so anyway. Maybe not so much Chris. He has more of the Siler look than Griffith). I do not know what I hit that changed my type, Sorry!!!! Weird

Siler bloggers let's hear from you.
Sara

1 comment:

Pat (Anderson) Siler said...

Sara, we're looking forward to seeing you and everyone else in Williamsburg.

I think Hendricks might be English and it should be fairly easy to find out if they were first cousins. That part of the family is fairly well documented and there's probably something on them in Ancestry.com. The name Evans is very common in Wales. When we were there someone told Billy that Evans in Wales is like Smith or Jones in the US.